Friday 16 February 2018

Following Student Passions

This term I have tried to follow student interests and passions to encourage them to engage in their learning and give them more choice about the direction we take. I have a number of reluctant readers and writers, many of whom have come with  low self esteem.  To combat this I decided to adapt my CSI planning (Communication, STEM and Inquiry) to allow for more focus on individual Inquiry for students who wanted to do this. Passion areas such as The Titanic, Thunderbirds, Volcanoes, Cars, Jungle Animals and Dinosaurs. Where ever possible I would incorporate mini Science experiments, such as floating and sinking for The Titanic. Or questions such as: Why do volcanoes explode?

This has lead to a real enthusiasm from students and the ability to take their passions into an inquiry of their own making.  Often others have been just as engaged in another students passion areas. I also had an over arching theme such as Toys so that students could explore and tell me more about what they were into.



I have  added a variety of readers of different levels, library books and toys. This has encouraged students to talk, role play and  discuss what they can see even if the text is too difficult to read.



Making books for students to write, read, record on Seesaw and then take home has been really motivational for many students as well.


Having the balance between structured reading of seen and new texts along with sight word and phonics where necessary has also been key to students building confidence in their own abilities.

I'm looking forward to tweaking what I am doing for the learners next term to improve what I have started this term.

No comments:

Post a Comment