Sunday 22 October 2017

Agency- Voice, Choice and Ownership

Recently I saw that The IBO has announced that the IB Primary Years Programme (PYP) will  be enhancing their programme by adding the concept of agency. Having taught PYP at an International school in Dubai in the past I was interested in this addition and how they will prepare to develop this.


Currently I am teaching in New Zealand where many schools and teachers have been researching and incorporating agency or student agency through the New Zealand Curriculum Framework for some time.

As it is a long weekend my family have been enjoying gardening and being outside. Mr 4 and I noticed the new koru growing in our garden. The design of the new PYP Graphic reminded me of the koru and so I added the core agency concepts onto a photo we took.


I like the symbolism that comes with the koru. The idea of new growth, perpetual movement, and strength. A koru unfurls to become a new part of a plant that grows and changes over time. Also, the visual link between agency and this special taonga really appeals to me as a teacher and learner. 

I look forward to seeing how adding agency into The PYP will change  the links between The Learner, Learning and Teaching and The Learning Community.  




No comments:

Post a Comment